Frank Renton and Travelsphere Holidays became 2001 Midlands Area Champions, with a performance that earned 98pts and a win over Thoresby RJB with Stan Lippeatt and Desford Colliery under Peter Parkes.
Frank spoke to us immediately after the results. "Delighted for the band and for the players. A great performance, especially as the standard was so high from the opposition. Alan Morrison was terrific on solo cornet and Darren Lea our new sop player was breathtaking. I'm chuffed with the way they played... it's a very good band here."
Frank Renton was also delighted that his old flugal player, Stan Lippeatt found success with a tremendous performance from Thoresby RJB that gained second spot with 97pts. "It's great for Stan. He works damn hard and it's paid off for him."
However, celebrations were short as Frank was due to shoot off to Scotland to take up the challenge with Kirkintilloch. "No champers just yet as I off straight away. However, I may have an odd glass or two later on"
Desford just missed out on a trip to London with third spot under Peter Parkes and Ransome and Russell Gray were fourth, although that disappointment was tempered by the fact they had already pre-qualified.
1. Travelsphere Holidays. F. Renton. 98pts
2. Thoresby RJB. S. Lippeatt. 97pts
3. Desford Colliery. P. Parkes. 96pts
4. The Ransome Band. R. Gray. 95pts.
5. WP Sovereign. S. Cooper. 94pts.
6. Staffordshire. A. Culshaw. 93pts.
7. Rolls Royce Coventry. D. Lea. 92pts.
8. Thorntons Brass. S. Shimwell. 89pts.
9. Riddings. J. Davis. 88pts.
10. Glossop Old. N. Law. 87pts.
11. Newstead Welfare. D. Beckley. 86pts.
12. Foss Dyke. W. Ritchie. 85pts.
Adjudicator: William Relton.