Youth Brass 2000 conducted by Chris Jeans have been crowned the 2009 Youth Entertainment Champions of Great Britain.
Cossacks wins the day
Playing off the number nine draw, Youth Brass 2000 performed Peter Graham's 'Call of the Cossacks' and their commanding performance throughout found favour with Music Adjudicator, Richard Evans and the Entertainment Adjudicator, Gordon Higginbottom.
Youth Brass gained 194 points in the music category and 94 in entertainment, giving them not just a winning total of 288 points, but a five point cushion over the runners up, Elland Youth.
In addition to taking the title, the band had further cause for celebration with flugel player, Alice Norman taking the prize as 'Best Soloist' for her performance in 'Doyle's Lament', whilst their immaculate appearance went some way to gaining them the award for 'Best Stage Deportment'.
Elland in second
Elland Silver Youth conducted by Samantha Harrison continued to enhance their reputation by taking the runners up spot, courtesy of a programme themed on pirates and the sea. The band was awarded the 'Most Entertaining Item' for its performance of 'Bound for Sea'.
No nap hand for Rochdale
Rochdale Borough Youth and Eric Landon headed to Blackpool in search of their fifth successive title, but despite an excellent performance that included taking the award for the 'Best Soprano' award, they had to settle for third place.
In fourth place was Sellers International under Mark Bousie, and with the band placed second in the music category with 194 points, it was their non-appearance in the top six in entertainment that proved to be their undoing.
1. Youth Brass 2000, Chris Jeans, 194/94 = 288 pts
2. Elland Silver Youth, Samantha Harrison, 188/95 = 283 pts
3. Rochdale Borough Youth, Eric Landon, 191/87.5 = 278.5 pts
4. Sellers International, Mark Bousie, 192/81.5 = 273.5 pts
5. Houghton Area Youth, Brian Adams, 180/92 = 272 pts
6. Poynton Youth Brass, Andy Hirst, 186/85 = 271 pts
7. Stockport Schools, Phil Pavey, 185/81 = 266 pts
8. Wardle High School, Lee Rigg, 179/96 = 265 pts
9. Enderby Youth, Trevor Hounsome, 184/80.5 = 264.5 pts
10. Bare Trees Community, John Collins, 190/71 = 261 pts
11. Oldham Music Centre, Jonathan Leedale, 182/78 = 260 pts
12. Macclesfield Youth, Louise Renshaw, 181/77 = 258 pts
13. Tees Valley Youth, Stuart Gray, 178/76 = 254 pts
14. Tewitt Youth, Craig Ratcliffe, 181/66 = 247 pts
Outstanding Soloist: Alice Norman, Youth Brass 2000
Most Entertaining Item: Bound for Sea, Elland Silver Youth
Best March: Stars and Stripes Forever, Bare Tress Community
Best Soprano: Rochdale Borough Youth
Best Basses: Sellers International Youth
Best Trombones: Poynton Youth
Best Stage Deportment: Youth Brass 2000
Band with Most Potential: Stockport Schools
Winning Conductor: Chris Jeans
4BR will look back at the day's contest in the coming days.