This is what the judges wrote in their remarks about Cory's winning performance at the 167th British Open Championship.
Band Number 16: Cory
Fantastic sounds to start — Bravo
So enthralling to listen and admire
So much admirable skills shown in cadenza
B-C includes v(ery) fine euph cadenza
C — perc impress to start and then it continues through into the fanfares
Very effective (sic) into K — Bravo
K — Some insecurities to note but quickly detail emerges so imaginative and clearly executed.
Quartet so well crafted and exacting. Bravo.
Captivating s(olo) horn section and flugel — so well poised. Perc effective
HH — so well managed and spaced — troms too.
II — enthralling intense listening — wonderful
JJ — excellent singing flowing style
So much excellence and character
Overall: Bravo — Thank you
Excellent opening & outstanding solo cornet.
B not quite together or in tune.
Euph does well & good start to 'War'
This goes at a well measured pace with menacing character. K not quite clean to start, but some nice character & theatricality.
Good troms and some fine clarity & neatness of ensemble.
Good before CC, but CC should start stronger- fine quartet passage — bari! Lovely octaves.
Farewell is assured & quite slow , but effective and touching. Soloists do well.
HH — good quality in soloists again.
II — a little drawn out, but nicely shaped.
Good link into JJ which is measured but artfully shaped. Spirited sop into OO (you went for it anyway!). SS is good & TT flowingly sustained with beautiful sounds. Rather drawn out close, but hell, why not enjoy it!
Scintillating stuff! The balance of musicality, solo work, accuracy & tonal quality was simply outstanding.
Scintillating stuff! The balance of musicality, solo work, accuracy & tonal quality was simply outstandingStephen Roberts
1. Harry — first note — wow! Beautiful opening..... — stunning cornet playing. Compelling ensemble at B. What a start!
2. War — love the tempo! F/G atmospheric — great sop ay I and again at J.
3. Theatre — musically and genuinely, authentically effective with strong lines. Electric in drama before CC.
Real musical authority from euphonium (baris) 5. Together — beautiful. Just slightest of blemishes but just wow!
6. Farewell — again beautifully reflecting the story line — solo honr — good flugel/euph. HH — musical/poised baritone and then trombone — this is some performance!!
II — Very expressive ensemble and happy ending.
7. Amen — the fugue works well here — appropriate tempo. Transition into NN effective. Trumpet shall sound — real drama/ a minor blemish but this does not spoil it! Lovely before TT.
TT/ is just gorgeous.
What a performance!!