*
banner

Results amended at 2010 Action Research contest

Appeal sees Youth Brass 2000 disqualified from Action Research competition.

Winter Gardens
 

4BR has been informed that the organisers of the 2010 Action Research Youth Championship have disqualified Youth Brass 2000 following an official appeal.

Appeal lodged

Youth Brass 2000 conducted by Chris Jeans was disqualified from the second place they achieved at the contest at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool in February following an official appeal lodged by a competing band.

Genuine mistake

Event organiser Gary Walczak confirmed to 4BR that the result of the competition has now been amended and that trophies have been returned and prize money reallocated.

"Unfortunately there was a genuine mistake by Youth Brass 2000 at the contest, which led to an appeal," Gary told 4BR. "This was investigated and Youth Brass accepted that the error had been made and that the rules of the contest had to be applied."

we are grateful to everyone involved that the decision we have had to make was undertaken and accepted in the spirit of what is a wonderful youth competitionGary Walczak

Age restrictions

4BR understands that with changes to the age restrictions for the contest this year, the band had mistakenly allowed two players to perform at the contest.

The new rules state that players must be under the age of 18 as at the 31st August in the year prior to the contest, to tie in with the academic school year.

Appeal

Four members of the eight strong Action Research organising committee heard the appeal, which took place following a written submission that was registered within the appropriate time limit after the contest.

The written decision of the committee was subsequently sent to Youth Brass 2000, who did not appeal against it.

Accept responsibility

Youth Brass Chairman Dave Collins told 4BR: "We are great supporters of the Action Research event and fully accepted that our genuine mistake meant the rules had been inadvertently broken. It is a great disappointment to us, but it was our fault and we accepted the responsibility."

Deal of good

Gary Walczak hoped that a great deal of good would come from the unfortunate outcome. "We are very sympathetic to the bands involved, especially as there has been some misunderstanding over the new age dates. However, we did inform the bands that the rules will be applied, and we are grateful to everyone involved that the decision we have had to make was undertaken and accepted in the spirit of what is a wonderful youth competition."

Grateful

Dave Collins echoed the sentiments of Gary Walczak. "Action Research is a wonderful event and one that we will continue to support. We are grateful to Gary for the way this has been sorted out. We will be back in 2011 though, and we hope this is a bit of a wake up call to all bands to make sure they are crystal clear about the contest’s rules."

Become a supporter and help make our future secure.

4barsrest continues to be a proudly independent voice. There are no paywalls to overcome to be able to enjoy what we do to keep our journalism at the heart of the brass banding world. Support us with a one-off donation or subscribe from just £2.50 per month.

Support us    


BBC proms

Black Dyke Proms broadcast on Radio 2

August 16 • You can enjoy Black Dyke Band's BBC Proms performance on Radio 2 this evening.


Lyndon Baglin

Death of Lyndon Baglin BEM

August 16 • The death has been announced of the great euphonium player Lyndon Baglin.


aobba

Quintet to enjoy judging experience in York

August 16 • Five aspiring adjudicators will enjoy the experience of being in the box at the Section 104 National Finals this year.


Kaz

Mass enthusiasm grows for banding in Japan

August 16 • The Tokyo Brass Band Festival saw over 80 players from 10 Japanese bands join musical forces.


Regent Hall Concerts - Cross Bones Trombone Quintet

Friday 21 August • Regent Hall (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Sherborne Town Band - Free-Music in the park

Sunday 23 August • Sherborne, Dorset-Pageant Gardens DT9 3NP


Sherborne Town Band - Free-Music in the park

Sunday 13 September • Sherborne, Dorset-Pageant Gardens DT9 3NP


Regent Hall Concerts - The Band of the Grenadier Guards

Thursday 17 September • Regent Hall (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Regent Hall Concerts - The Duchess of Edinburgh String Orchestra

Friday 18 September • Regent Hall (The Salvation Army). 275 Oxford Street. London W1C2DJ


Marconi Brass

August 15 • We are looking for a cornet to join our friendly, ambitious second section band under the baton of our Musical Director, Jonathan Crowhurst. Based in Rochester, Kent, we rehearse on a Monday evening at Holcombe Hockey Club, 19:45-21:30.


Marconi Brass

August 15 • We are looking for a Bb Bass to join our friendly, ambitious second section band under the baton of our Musical Director, Jonathan Crowhurst. Based in Rochester, Kent, we rehearse on a Monday evening at Holcombe Hockey Club, 19:45-21:30


Waterbeach Brass

August 14 • Waterbeach Brass are a friendly and ambitious 2nd section band just north of Cambridge, looking for Tutti cornet, Eb bass and Tuned percussion to complete their lineup.. . Rehearsals on a Monday night- 7:45-10pm at Waterbeach Barracks.


Mark Wilkinson


Cornet Soloist, Teacher, Adjudicator, Conductor


               

 © 2026 4barsrest.com Ltd